Plantation Shutters Forum. Lamp Glass Shade. Diy Wedding Canopy.
Plantation Shutters Forum
- (Plantation Shutter) the name coined by Australian Timber Shutters in the 80s for their Australian style shutter with wide adjustable blades. Now a mostly generic term for timber shutters.
- A window shutter is a solid and stable window covering usually consisting of a frame of vertical stiles and horizontal rails (top, center and bottom).
- A hinged cover or screen for a window or door, usually fitted with louvres
- A court or tribunal
- a public meeting or assembly for open discussion
- (in an ancient Roman city) A public square or marketplace used for judicial and other business
- Forum is an album by Australian guitar pop group Invertigo. The album was released in 2001 with some songs (such as “Desensitised” and “Chances Are”) recorded in 2000.
- A place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged
- Forum is a Bangladeshi English language monthly current affairs magazine. Founded in 1969 in the then East Pakistan (present day Bangladesh) by human rights activist Hameeda Hossain and economist Rehman Sobhan, the magazine became renowned for its outspoken content advocating democracy and
plantation shutters forum – Norman Wood
William and Helen Martin Murphy Ziegler, Jr. House
The William and Helen Ziegler, Jr. House was built in 1926-27, at the end of the era of large single-family town houses for the wealthy in Manhattan. It is one of the most distinguished New York City residences by architect William L. Bottomley, who established a reputation as one of the preeminent American architects of neo-Georgian style residences in the 1920s and 30s, often inspired by eighteenth-century Virginia plantation prototypes. William Ziegler, Jr., a prominent businessman, sportsman, and head of several foundations for the blind, moved into this house after his marriage in 1927 to Helen Martin Murphy. East 55th Street, between Park and Lexington Avenues, was one of the fashionable side street blocks of Midtown Manhattan, where older rowhouses were replaced by new town houses or altered with new facades.
The Ziegler House, quite substantial at four-and-a-half stories (plus basement) in height and thirty-seven-and-a-half feet in width, has a beautifully detailed, symmetrical three-bay front facade. Bottomley successfully and creatively adapted an elegant neo-Georgian style design to an urban town house. Among its notable features are the Flemish bond brickwork with burnt headers, splayed lintels, and end quoins; the entrance with a bowed-arched pediment; multi-pane wood sash windows and paneled shutters; the modillioned cornice; the steeply-pitched, grey slate-covered roof with dormers and end chimneys; and the wrought-iron fence with brick piers at the sidewalk line. Since William Ziegler’s death in 1958, the house has been used for offices, including those of architects Welton Becket & Associates, the Radio Advertising Bureau, Inc., and Allied Bank International. The Ziegler House is a rare surviving unaltered, revival-style town house in Midtown, an area dominated by tall office buildings.
East 55"’ Street, between Park and Lexington Avenues
The neighborhood of today’s eastern Midtown Manhattan was largely developed after the Civil War. Initially, the area to the east of the railroad tracks running along Park Avenue was considered to be less desirable than that closer to Fifth Avenue, which was where the wealthy moved. East 55th Street, between Park and Lexington Avenues, was developed with speculatively-built rowhouses for the upper-middle class in the late 1870s, following the construction of the Central Synagogue (Congregation Ahavath Chesed)( 1871-72, Henry Fernbach), 652 Lexington Avenue.J The covering of the railroad tracks and the construction of Grand Central Terminal (1903-13, Reed & Stem and Warren & Wetmore),3 at East 42nd Street and Park Avenue, initiated changes in the character of the neighborhood. The vicinity of the terminal was redeveloped with office buildings, while Park Avenue north of the terminal became fashionable for residences and apartment buildings.
On the nearby side street blocks, older rowhouses were purchased by very wealthy owners, who hired architects to design new town houses or to alter existing buildings with new facades.
This block of East 55th Street became one of these desirable locations. Prominent residents after the turn of the century included Arthur Bourne, an heir to the Singer Sewing Machine Co. fortune; Arthur W. Butler, an investment banker, broker, and lawyer; Mary H. Cunningham, a well-to-do widow; Elsie deWolfe, interior decorator, and Elisabeth Marbury, theatrical agent; Elizabeth and Martha White, daughters of Horace White, editor of the New York Evening Post; architect William L. Bottomley; William Ziegler, Jr.; and Charles F. Noyes, real estate broker.
William and Helen Martin Murphy Ziegler. Jr.
William Ziegler, Jr. (1891-1958), a prominent businessman, sportsman, and president of several foundations for the blind, was the adopted nephew of the millionaire William Ziegler (1843-1905). The elder Ziegler, born in Pennsylvania to German immigrant parents and raised in Iowa, moved to New York around 1863 and worked for a wholesale drug firm. After studies at the New York School of Pharmacy, he began a bakery supply business in 1868. Venturing solely into baking powder with two partners in 1870, they formed the Royal Chemical Co., which was incorporated as the Royal Baking Powder Co. in 1873. Their product became the most popular brand in the United States for years, making the company highly successful. After disagreements with his partners, however, Ziegler sold his interest in the company in 1888 for three million dollars, and purchased the Price Baking Powder Co. in Chicago and the Tartar Chemical Co. in Jersey City. His companies were later consolidated with Royal and two other firms in 1899 in the "
Baking Powder Trust." Ziegler invested his profits in large-scale real estate holdings in New York City and the metropolitan area, including those in downtown and Fifth and Madison Avenues in Manhattan; Morris Park in the Bronx; Flatbush, New Utrecht, and Sea Gate in Brooklyn; Malba, Flu
Evergreen Plantation, LA ~ shutter latch
Christophe Haydel constructed the big house in 1790 in the typical Creole style with an open basement and first floor surrounded by a gallerie. It was reconfigured in the Greek Revival style by his grandson, Pierre Becnel, in 1835. The plantation was almost abandoned during the Great Depression and was purchased by Matilda Gray in 1944 when she restored and renovated the plantation.
The plantation includes thirty-seven contributing buildings, all but eight of them antebellum, making it one of the most complete plantation complexes in the state and the South; of great significance are the twenty-two slave quarters, arranged in a double row along an allee of oak trees. The plantation is on the National Register #91001386 and is also a National Historic Landmark.
plantation shutters forum